You're now ready to assemble your Helium hardware!
Assemble the Helium Element
If you have the Cellular Element you can use both the cellular connectivity as well as failover to Ethernet by connecting the ethernet jack to a spare port on your router or switch. Otherwise, connect the Element as instructed in the getting started materials included.
Assemble the Helium Atom XBee Module and Shield
Next, build your Atom XBee Shield to connect it to the Arduino Uno.
- Using a 2.54mm pitch jumper, connect I/O pin 9 to RX in the shield header.
- Using another jumper, connect I/O pin 8 to TX in the shield header.
- Align the Xbee Atom module with the dotted silkscreen on the PCB and insert it.
- Plug in the antenna leads and attach the antennas
- Add the shield to the Arduino board
Need additional help? You can find more photos in Helium's documentation.
Connect the XBee Capacitive Moisture Sensor
Finally, connect the capacitive sensor to the Atom shield.
- Connect a black male-to-male jumper between the black female header on the sensor and a GND pin on the shield.
- Connect a red male-to-male jumper between the red female header on the sensor and the 5V pin on the shield.
- Connect any color male-to-male jumper between the blue signal wire on the capacitive sensor header and the AD0 pin on the shield.
Move to the next step when the hardware is ready and connected.
Don't power it up, yet!